Thursday, April 26, 2007

' The Namesake ' By Jhumpa Lahiri


There is a story without a story. I mean, teher is nothing great in it except of the fact everything is so intelinked that just because of an accident and the disreach of the Grandmother's letter, the boy is named GOGOL to which he regrets till a point. The point when he comes to know why was he named that, though till then he had changed his name ti Nikhil. It ends to a simple conclusion that what you are named, be proud of it and dont regret it or you will suffer...( he suffered with humiliation at once...)

And as far as the author is concerned, Jhumpa Lahiri has wriiten a very simple, and innovative story (innovative because its somthing new and as my dad says, " She has shared a very personal matter, of naaing a child..." ) highliting The Namesake, a sake of having a name or a pronoun addressed to you. She narrates it in a very nice and delicate and also in an EXPANDING form, explaining every moment the character goes through: mentally, physically or even emotionally...

I really admire the way Jhumpa Lahiri has wriiten and framed the story, the book or the novel ( though when I did start reading it, I hated it...).

Now she has become my ideal author after Erich Segal... I really love the way Erich Segal narrates the story in a frank manner...

No comments: